Stop by and say hello – all are welcome! All UW-Madison students, and staff are welcome to come into the Makerspace and use the benches and tables – no permit or fee is required.
The easiest way to get involved is to stop by and chat with us! Just check in at the front desk and we’ll direct you to our student staff who can answer any questions you have.
If you’re member of the UW-Madison’s College of Engineering (CoE) and would like to use the shop, you must obtain a blue, red or green permit + pay a $50/semester fee. The simplest and fastest approach is to obtain a blue permit + pay the $50/semester fee (only requires an online quiz). Your blue permit will not expire until you graduate, though you will have to pay the fee every semester you’d like to use the equipment.
Step #1: Obtain a Permit
- All users must have a Blue or Red permit to use the equipment in the Makerspace.
- Check out the list of equipment to see which permit and respective upgrades are required for each machine.
- A Red or Green permit is needed to enter the “machine shop”.
Step #2: Pay the Fee
- This fee covers unlimited use of all CoE shops/equipment/machines including the Makerspace and TEAM-Lab.
- Pay your COE materials fee.
- Note that we charge for certain consumables such as 3D printer filament. See the 3D printer page for more info.