The machine shop is outlined in red below. It contains the equipment that is more dangerous and thus must have a separately controlled area with more supervision.
Ready to print? You can head straight into the 3D print area and find a staff member to load your print.
Permit Requirements are enforced with wiscard swipes or m-passes.
College of Engineering faculty and staff are not required to pay the materials fee though they must have a CoE permit.
Learning Modules (Optional!) Join the course in Canvas.
|Compound Sliding Miter Saw||Benchtop Router||Drum Sander||Drill Presses|
|Panel Saw||Compact Router||Disc Sander||Thermoformer|
|Band Saws (no steel)||Laguna Router||Belt Sander||Variety of pneumatic tools, and cordless hand tools|
|Table Saw||X-Carve Router||Downdraft Sanding Table||Waterjet|
|Jig Saws||Handheld Orbital|
Looking for something else? Check out TEAM Lab’s inventory. Questions? Email us at email@example.com
Shop Dress Code
- Any clothing, jewelry (e.g. rings, watches, dangling earrings, bracelets, necklaces, etc.), earphone cords, or other items that could become entangled in moving machinery are prohibited. Bracelets that cannot be removed (e.g. medical bracelets) may be taped in place.
- Lab users must wear clothes such that there is no skin visible below the base of the neck with the exception of arms/hands below the elbow (unless when welding or using tool with similar safety concerns). Clothing that resists light cuts and does not melt when burned (e.g. cotton jeans, canvas pants) is strongly preferred but not required (depending upon the environmental hazards). Leggings and similar synthetic fabrics are discouraged.
- Lab users must at minimum wear shoes that completely enclose their feet and do not increase the likelihood of a fall (e.g. high heel shoes would not be acceptable). Non-slip, steel toed boots are preferred but not required.
- Long hair (i.e. exceeding shoulder length) must be adequately restrained to prevent becoming entangled in moving machinery. Facial hair which extends more than six inches below the chin must also be similarly restrained.
- To ensure safety, head coverings must be tucked securely, and approved by shop staff before using the machines.
- Gloves must be removed before turning on or operating any machine. Gloves are generally discouraged when working in the lab (unless when welding or using a tool with similar safety concerns). If material is rough or sharp and gloves must be worn, place or handle material with the machine turned off (all moving parts stopped). Remove sharp edges with a file or similar tool before using the machine.
- Eye protection must be properly worn at all times by all individuals in fabrication areas. Always wear safety glasses or face shields (required when using hand grinders) designed for the type of work being done. Safety glasses must still be worn when using face shields or welding helmets.
- Personal safety glasses are allowed so long as they have side shields and meet or exceed the ANSI Z87+ standard.
- Hearing protection is required when working with machines or tools that produce an excessive (90db or greater) noise level for extended periods of time (e.g. when using hand grinders). Hearing (ear) protection is available for checkout.
Materials for Sale in the Minimart
|Material||Material Type||Thickness||Length & Width||Cost|
|Plywood - Birch||Wood||3/4||48 x 96||51.70|
|Plywood - Birch||Wood||1/2||48 x 96||42.50|
|Plywood - Birch||Wood||1/4||48 x 96||26.41|
|Plywood - Birch||Wood||1/2||48 x 48||35.00|
|Plywood - Birch||Wood||1/4||48 x 48||19.00|
|Hardboard (HDF)||Wood||1/4||48 x 96||12.40|
|Hardboard (HDF)||Wood||1/8||48 x 96||8.00|
|EPS Pink Foam||1||24 x 24||3.50|
|Polystrene||Plastic||1/16||18 x 20||4.50|
|Polystrene||Plastic||1/8||18 x 20||9.00|
|PETG||Plastic||1/16||18 x 20||7.00|
|Hardboard (HDF)||Wood||1/8||18 x 24||2.12|
|Hardboard (HDF)||Wood||1/8||36 x 24||4.25|
|Hardboard (HDF)||Wood||1/4||18 x 24||3.45|
|Hardboard (HDF)||Wood||1/4||36 x 24||6.90|
|Plywood||Wood||1/4||18 x 24||6.00|
|Plywood||Wood||1/4||36 x 24||12.00|
|Foam Core||3/16||30 x 20||3.00|
|Acrylic - Black||Plastic||1/8||18 x 24||10.75|
|Acrylic - White||Plastic||1/8||18 x 24||10.75|
|Acrylic - Clear||Plastic||1/8||18 x 24||10.75|
|Acrylic - Black||Plastic||1/8||36 x 24||21.50|
|Acrylic - White||Plastic||1/8||36 x 24||21.50|
|Acrylic - Clear||Plastic||1/8||36 x 24||21.50|
|Acrylic - Black||Plastic||1/4||18 x 24||20.00|
|Acrylic - White||Plastic||1/4||18 x 24||20.00|
|Acrylic - Clear||Plastic||1/4||18 x24||18.25|
|Acrylic - Black||Plastic||1/4||36 x 24||40.00|
|Acrylic - White||Plastic||1/4||36 x 24||40.00|
|Acrylic - Clear||Plastic||1/4||36 x 24||36.50|
|Acetal||Plastic||1/4||12 x 12||26.47|