VR Headsets at the Makerspace
Use the Headsets
Due to COVID, we aren't offering check out without consultation. Please email us at email@example.com to propose your project. Note that you must have your CoE Shops materials fee paid.
The Kohler Vis Studio
Kohler Visualization Studio is the studio area for creating AR/VR on the Makerspace's 1st floor. This area is closed due to COVID, but VR Headsets are still available on a case by case basis.
360 Video Cameras
The Insta360 Pro 2 can meet all your VR Camera needs. It can capture stereoscopic videos and images in 8k 60fps video, 12k photos, and more. It also allows for live streaming and has a multitude of post processing tools.
The Provost Program
Groups of VR Headsets are available to faculty and staff for instruction and research. Fill out the form below to start a reservation or if you have questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
VR Headsets for Instruction & Research
Any faculty or staff member at UW-Madison may check-out headsets for instructional use thanks to a partnership with the Provost’s Office and the College of Engineering.
If you’d like to reserve one or more headsets for your class, please start with this form or contact us at email@example.com
- All requests must be placed at least 3 weeks in advance for software installs.
- There is no cost to the instructor – including Materials Fees, or an M-Pass.
- Only the Oculus Go and Quest headsets are part of this pilot program. Other Kohler Vis Lab AR/VR equipment require an M-Pass or CoE Shop Permit.
- This is only for faculty/staff at UW and not for students or student orgs to check out.
- The instructors will need to provide software and/or access to the software.
- The instructors will need to verify software at least 3 days in advance of the event or class.
- The headsets can be used in the Kohler Vis Lab but the lab needs to be reserved separately via EMS website.
- The headsets can be used outside the Makerspace with Shop Manager approval.
- The instructor will need to provide a pickup time and drop off time.
- The instructor will need to provide the names of people picking up and dropping off.
- Makerspace can provide staffing if there is availability.
- The Makerspace student staff can provide basic technical support. You may reach them at firstname.lastname@example.org
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Responsibilities of Parties
● All instructors using the space will provide: Their own instructional content and teaching support to students using the VR equipment as part of their class (e.g. a TA to walk students through the instructional content as needed).
● The Makerspace will staff provide the equipment and technical support as mentioned below but will not be able to run, organize, teach lab lessons, and/or create educational content specific to a course.
● The following items can be provided:
1. 21 Oculus Quest 1, 64 GB VR headsets
2. 10 Oculus Quest 2, 64 GB VR headsets
3. 25 Oculus Quest Go, VR headsets
4. Cases to safely transport and store headsets
5. Disposable headset covers
6. AA rechargeable batteries and battery charger
● The Makerspace will:
1. Setup, label, and number the headsets and controllers
2. Charge and store the headsets when not in use
3. Replace and charge controller batteries when needed
4. Coordinate schedules with instructors, including time instructors may
need to load files to the headsets
5. Provide technical support to instructors regarding VR headsets, including hardware, firmware updates, and file uploads to the headsets if requested by the instructor.
6. Troubleshoot headsets that are malfunctioning (based on staffing availability and may not occur on-demand).
7. Offer a brief orientation to the Kohler Innovation Visualization Studio for instructors using the VR headsets in their courses.
8. Provide disposable headset covers at the request of instructors; requests must be made in a reasonable timeframe (to be established at a later date); purchase additional disposable headset covers when the initial supply is depleted.
9. Insert or remove glasses spacers in headsets as needed; instructors must request number of headsets needing glasses spacers in advance in a reasonable timeframe (to be established at a later date).
● Makerspace staff with VR expertise may not be present during all scheduled lab times so advanced planning will be needed. It’s recommended that each course has a lab TA that is fairly knowledgeable with frequent questions and issues with their lesson.
● Makerspace staff will do their best to ensure the equipment is ready and working properly for each reservation; however, users must be prepared to use the equipment independently.
● The VR equipment is not to be removed from the Kohler Innovation Visualization Studio unless approved by the shop manager.
● Any CoE instructor may reserve the VR equipment and/or room. Instructors should reserve blocks of time for their students to come in groups (labs) to use the equipment. A list of students in each lab section should be provided to the Makerspace staff.
● Equipment can only be reserved by CoE instructors and will be granted a reservation on a first-come-first-served basis. No priority will be given to any specific CoE department or instructor.
● CoE students may use the equipment without an instructor or TA present, though the lessons need to run autonomously in this case.
Do you have a question about VR?
Do you have a question about VR? Below is the schedule of our most knowledgable staff when it comes to visual reality. Find a time when they’re working and then come in and ask the front desk to help connect you.
Note: Make sure to only come for help during the Makerspace hours here.
or email email@example.com
|Support Staff||Date||Start Time||End Time|
|Yash Wani||01/26/2022||08:45 AM||11:30 AM|
|Christian Martinez||01/26/2022||09:00 AM||12:00 PM|
|Alex Vesel||01/26/2022||11:30 AM||02:30 PM|
|Kirk Mendoza||01/26/2022||11:30 AM||02:30 PM|
|Yash Wani||01/27/2022||08:45 AM||11:30 AM|
|Alex Vesel||01/28/2022||08:45 AM||11:30 AM|
|Christian Martinez||01/28/2022||09:00 AM||12:00 PM|