If you have questions regarding the waterjet or are not prepared to cut, stop in during our project support hours or email email@example.com.
If you’ve decided the waterjet is the best tool to cut your part and have a part prepared, follow these steps:
- Download the ProtoMAX MAKE/LAYOUT software package
- Familiarize yourself with the ProtoMAX LAYOUT software and learn how to prepare a drawing file. The drawing file is the bridge between your CAD file and the g-code produced using ProtoMAX MAKE software. Simple parts can be drawn with the tools in LAYOUT, but if you already have a part prepared or have complex geometry, use your CAD software to export a .DXF file to LAYOUT.
- In LAYOUT, follow the steps to:
- Clean your drawing
- Assign quality to your vectors
- Consider placement of lead in/out lines
- Assign tool offset
- Post your file to either .ORD or .OMX format**
- In MAKE:
- Open your .ORD or .OMX file
- Enter material type and thickness (This can be done when opening your file or can be changed at any point by selecting “Change Path Setup” after opening your part)
- Under the “Statistics” tab on the left of the screen, an estimated time for your cut and amount of abrasive is calculated. Use this estimated time to schedule your cut. Please allow for 20-30min for setup and if issues come up while cutting.
- Keep in mind the Makerspace charges $1.15/min for the calculated machine run time
The waterjet is in high demand, so we try our best to maintain scheduled times even if your cut is not complete. It is your responsibility to make sure you can finish your cut in the time you have reserved.
Please bring both your LAYOUT file (AutoCAD .DXF file) and .ORD/.OMX file to the Makerspace for your reserved time. Staff will help setup the machine and start your cut.
The default units in LAYOUT are inches, but drawings can be scaled appropriately if you have designed in other units.